Monday - Thursday
Excursion Details :
- 07:00: 20 minutes stop for breakfast (not included in the price) in Scaletta, just before Rethymno
- 15 minutes stop at the plateau of Omalos, little before the entrance to the gorge
- Arrival at Xyloskalo – entrance of the gorge and point of departure for about 5 hours hiking; we start by descending for approximately 2 km; there are springs with running water and toilets every 2 km. Smoking is prohibited throughout the gorge. The route is enriched with unique plants, flowers –even orchids- wild animals, little fountains and rivers, a small chapel. Halfway along the gorge we arrive at the old village of Samaria, where the cretan wild goats known as kri-kri live.
- At the exit of the gorge we reach Agia Roumeli on the south side of Crete, where we can enjoy our meal in one of the taverns and if wishing, enjoy swimming in the amazingly clear waters of the Libyan sea.
- The guide accompanying you on your tour, stays discreetly next to you throughout the whole route. In the morning, before entering the gorge he informs you on the departure time of the boat and on the meeting point where the tickets will be delivered while ensuring that everybody has exited the gorge in due time.
- From the secluded village of Agia Roumeli we take the boat (one hour trip) to Chora Sfakion where the coach immediately departs for the return. • On the return trip, we make our last 20 minutes coffee break at Scaletta.
- It is recommended that you wear hiking boots or ankle-high shoes (sport shoes)
- The excursion is not suitable for elderly, pregnant women, overweight and generally for people with health problems
- The price does not include the 5,00 € entrance fee to the gorge and the boat ticket of 10.00 €.
- Due to the long duration of the tour, those customers who are on half board is good to be informed to exchange their hotel dinner for a lunch basket
- Customers should pay close attention to the information given by their guide and especially regarding meeting or departure times.